Thursday, November 12, 2009

Veterans Day - 2009

A memorable one. Too much cold beer and good companionship and too little time to thoroughly enjoy the day. Melford hit town and we spent the day at the fish farm. After another teardown of the beaver dam, we took a walk around the place. Peaceful. We fed the Dorito cat. She does not have a name, but she loves Black Pepperjack Doritos. Could not get enough of them. I think the cat has dain bramage!
Sitting and talking. Two aging vets reminiscing about the happy times. Mostly about the college days at Millsaps. Melford's a swabbie, but not too bad, as they go. We laughed throughout the day. Caught and grilled some catfish. Dorito cat was not interested. I guess she filled up on her namesake.
Let me assure any of our friends who might read this post - NOTHING negative was spoken about any of you. ALL of you were fondly remembered on Veterans Day 2009. And some of you are even veterans!
Floy, Cindy, Bread, Shellie, Darrelyn, Rusty, Martha, Jane, Diane, Kathy, Mary, Joe Pat, Cossack, Boo, Richie, Gorgo, Jack, Geno, Sabu, Dupee, Janice, The Archbishop, Skybird, multiple Johns, Stan the Man, Debbies, Marla, Mikes, Donna, Schulte, Rowan, Bobby, Patti, Tube Jockey, and many others. I could go on and on. It seemed like we laughed about all our friends and how much they meant to us.
Then we spent some time remembering the good things about those who are no longer with us: Brett, House Mouse (aka: The Poster Poster), Dwight, and Lance, and Dr. Priddy. And those with whom we have lost touch, and know not if they are still with us or gone: Ronnie, Bret, and Jersey come to mind.
After spending the day, and with night falling, I headed home. The guilt started. I had spent an entire day with a good friend, fellow thespian and former housemate. We laughed and talked and discussed and fondly remembered our Millsaps friends and lovers. Two veterans on Veterans Day. And we had not spent one moment remembering our service friends - those who are still with us and those who are not. I know he agrees with me...our service buddies won't mind. Not at all. This is how we chose to spend Veterans Day 2009.
As I lay in the bed. In the dark. No sounds except those wafting through my open windows. The sounds of night. A quiet night. Then I thought of those who are no longer with me. Larry and Niv and Paul and The Nose. I'm going to visit them at The Wall online in just a minute. I know they will heartily approve of how I spent Veterans Day 2009. I only with they could have been with the two of us...

No comments: