Sunday, November 1, 2009

Not Just The Black, But ALL Women

Leonard Pitts, Jr. is a columnist whose ramblings appear on Sunday and Wednesday in the Miami Herald. He seems to carry a chip on his shoulder, but I still find some of his writings to be quite interesting...and thought provoking. This being the case, I'm sure he would be pleased.
Today's (11/1/09) entry concerned black women who whiten themselves up. If you click on the link above, you can read his entire column. I found it interesting, but I see the same instances of appearance-changing in all races. I do see his point about black women straightening or weaving their hair and how they, and others, spend $9 billion (yep! that's what Chris Rock says) yearly on stuff to affect the change. And how "black folks" own very little of the industry. Seems like a huge waste.
I am a fan of women. All women. I find them fascinating. They are much better than my sex. They have so much more to offer the world. I love most aspects of women. They are the nurturers. The givers. Most ask for so little in return. Many ask for nothing. But they also seem, and I know I should not deal with generalities, to be insecure. And none of them should be.
I was particularly moved by the end of Pitts' column. So much that I left a Sunday PM football game on TV to sit down and blog. As I said earlier, I find some of his writings very interesting. He is a gifted wordsmith. I close with the portion that caught my attention...and caused me to reread it three times. I can't think of anyone who has ever stated this truth more eloquently:
"I am your brother, your father, your husband and your son. I've seen you in church with big hats on, giving children the evil eye. And at the jail on visiting day, shoring up that wayward man. And at the bus stop in the rain on your way to work. And at the dining table with pen and paper, working miracles of money. When I was a baby, you nursed me, when we were children, I chased you through the house; when we were dating, I missed half the movie, stealing sugar from you. I saw you born; I took you to your prom; I glowed with pride when you went off to school. I have married you and buried you. I love your smile. A million times, you took my breath away.
You are the rock and salvation of our people, the faith that remains when all hope is gone. So if it's about the need to be beautiful, maybe it's time somebody told you:
You already are. You always were. "

No comments: